Thursday 25 August 2011

ITS A LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP......


Anyone who has ever tried to lose weight knows that the relationship you build with the scale is pretty much LOVE HATE.   The reason is that we are drawn to the scale several times a day to see if the digits will read differently (LOVE) to the last time to climbed on and then we are disappointed (HATE) when there is no change or the change is not what we want….demand it to be.


On Tuesday evening I put on my big girl panties and went to weigh.  Since friends and I are doing this together we have a weekly “weigh” in session.  I proudly bought a little note book to record my weight and please God my weight loss over the coming three months. It’s not that I feel the need to keep my weight private although I guess like most women I am not about to take out a full page ad in the “YOU” magazine to announce the spectacular number the scale displayed. But I don’t want it written on a bathroom wall where every Tom, Dick and Harry who lowers his pants can read it either, especially if there is a possibility I might know the Tom, Dick and Harry.

So there we are, in my friends bedroom with the damning scale waiting for its first victim.  There was a little bit of chaos and I am not sure why I seemed to be the last one to weigh but I sucked up all my courage and climbed onto the scale.  I can’t tell you what went through my mind as those digital digits went round and round, mainly because I think my mind went blank.  I held my breath as the sweat seeped out of every pore. Finally, the digits stopped their crazy dance and came to a standstill and so too did my heart. The final number which is a reflection of my weight was shocking to say the least.  I knew I carried a few extra pounds but this was just plain unreal.

I stepped off the scale afraid someone would notice my panic and walked over to my friend who was holding my little note book.  The room fell silent and out of the silence suddenly came a booming voice; “your weight is………”.  It felt like someone had grabbed a loudhailer and was screaming the numbers out into the universe.  I did not know what to do, turn and run from the room or pick the offending scale up and fling it against the nearest wall.  Instead I froze……….I just stood there. 

When my brain unfroze and I could think again the first thought through my mind was that *%%^*&* somebody could have warned me the freaking thing TALKS and the second was “I guess there are no secrets now”.  At first my embarrassment lead me to be very angry but as the red veil lifted I could see that there is a lesson here.

I am wanting my best life well part of that is being authentic, not hiding and being honest and open.  Here I was already wanting to hide my “number” when I should acknowledge it and embrace it because I will never be here again.

So here is what I know for sure: What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it, that’s another matter. – Peter F. Drucker




No comments: