Wednesday 3 October 2012

MEETING CHRISTIAN GREY...


I have decided to enter the fray about the casting of 50 Shades of Grey, the movie. First off let us spare a moment to pray that the movie is given a talented and imaginative screen writer who can turn E L James poorly written work into a master piece.  Let’s be honest as one blogger said “it is like watching a train accident.  You know it is awful and you should look away but you just can’t.”!!

I know that when each and every women (and man) read the books they imagined all the characters in the book and most of us would associate the imagine in our minds with that of an actor or actress when it comes to casting the roles.  In all honesty I was very disappointed with Robert Patterson’s Edward.  He was the complete opposite to how Edward looked in my imagination and in part I think that that is why we often leave a movie theatre and think that the movie did not measure up to the book. I am pretty sure that if you were to set up a focus group you would find that each women (or men) had a different look for our mercurial billionaire!

So since I am fearless (except for those pesky spiders) I am going to start off by looking at the casting for  the converted role of Mr Christian Grey himself.

Now before we consider the candidates (and ladies it’s a drool fest of hotties) we need to look to the book for a description of the man.  We know that Christian is 27 years old, although I guess because of his life experience I did picture him more mature while reading the book. For more details I went back to where Ana meets Christian and although it is all from her point of view it gives us a good idea:

pg. 7"Holy cow—he's so young."  He's supposed to be 27, and look younger, which is inferred several times
"So young—and attractive, very attractive. He's tall, dressed in a fine gray suit, white shirt, and black tie with unruly dark copper-colored hair and intense, bright gray eyes that regard me shrewdly."  It is kind of funny that here there is no description of Christian’s physique which makes picturing him in a suit a little difficult.  However, because of the presence he carries and because of the respect he seems to command I am pretty sure that he makes a suit look goooooooooood!!! The copper-coloured hair SERIOUSLY ! I never got that at all so right through the trilogy the Christian in my head had dark hair…not quite black but certainly very dark brown. The “unruly” part seems to indicate that his hair may be a little longer than what is normally acceptable and we know that Ana does in fact cut his hair…..or he just uses product. The eyes are important, not so much the colour although gray eyes for Christian Grey seems a little OTT.  I do however, think that Christian needs to have very prominent eyes, they need to be able to convey every nuance of his personality and they need to be cold and warm (obviously not at the same time) and even playful!
pg. 8:  "His voice is warm, possibly amused, but it's difficult to tell from his impassive expression. He looks mildly interested but above all, polite." Yes, this is his expression, exactly. Almost a look of being above it all although his voice is going to tell a different story.
pg. 9: "When I pluck up the courage to look at him, he's watching me, one hand relaxed in his lap and the other cupping his chin and trailing his long index finger across his lips. I think he's trying to suppress a smile." I think Christian has long elegant hands after all he does play the piano and he does look like a nudge to the ribs might cause him to chuckle. 
pg. 10: "Why does he have such an unnerving effect on me? His overwhelming good looks maybe? The way his eyes blaze at me? The way he strokes his index finger against his lower lip? I wish he'd stop doing that." OK, so here is where the problem starts because we all know that what I consider overwhelming good looks and what you consider overwhelming good looks will in all likelihood be words apart!  
pg. 11: "His eyes are alight with some wicked thought." The eyes are really going to have to be a focal point when casting.
"He smiles, revealing perfect white teeth. I stop breathing. He really is beautiful. No one should be this good-looking." God, girl, get a grip is the first thought that goes through my mind but then again the Christian in my head makes me stop breathing too…
pg. 14: "His mouth is very ... distracting." So the mouth, the eyes and the hands are important.
pg. 16"He really is very, very good-looking. It's unnerving." A perfect example for the wonderful writing…..but at least we are very sure that Christian is very good looking.
So let’s consider our candidates (oh and just as an added bonus where possible I looked for photos of the candidates in just jeans….cause we all know that that is one of the critical looks):
I am not even going to entertain some of the suggestions like Christian Bale because I think he is simply too old for the role and I don’t think he has the eyes.  Chris Pine has the eyes but I think he really has to much of a baby face to pull off a dominant like Christian. And don’t even get me started on the ridiculous suggestion that Justin Bieber plays the part….gosh he is not even a man he is like a manlet…
Ryan Gosling:  yes recent reports have indicated that he is not interested in the part but I do feel that he still deserves a mention (and a photo)…
Henry Cavill: born on 5 May 1983 making him 29 years of age. He is probably best known for his role in the Showtime series The Tudors but has recently been cast as Superman for the 2012 movie Man of Steel. He seems to be gaining a lot of support in the polls.




Matt Bomer: born 11 October 1977 which means that in a few days’ time he will be 35 years old.  Maybe a little long in the tooth but he does look a lot younger.  Matt is best known for his role in the TV series White Collar and maybe his recurring role in Chuck.  He played the role of Bryce Larkin. Matt and our next candidate are neck and neck in the polls.



Ian Somerhalder: born December 8 1978 which makes him almost 34 years old.  Fortunately, for us he can pull of 27.  Ian is of course Damon Salvator in The Vampire Diaries TV series.  Now I am not a fan of the series but I do like Ian’s portrayal of Damon. This is one of the few instances where an actor pulls of the character better than the character was written in the book. I would defiantly be happy if Ian is cast in the role of Christian Grey.  He has the eyes, he has a smouldering look and there is just a hint of the little boy inside.  Ian has an awesome body and I am certain he would be able to play the role.  I do however, worry that he does not have the presence which Christian has….







Now for a complete curve ball.
We all know I am a big fan of Alexander Skarsgard.  Alexander was born 36 years ago on 25 August and is best known for his vampire character Eric Northman in True Blood.  Yes he is blond, but he is tall and statuesque and has a presence about him.  And gosh darn it he looks freaking awesome naked!!!




Lastly I was listening to a radio station on Monday night where they were debating who should play the 50 Shades characters and the name Alex O’Loughlin was mentioned.  Now I know the 36 year old from Hawaii Five-O where he plays the starring role of Lieutenant Commander Steve McGarrett. He has the eyes, he has the body (no doubting that) he has the lips, the hands and he can pull of a uniform so you know he is going to look good in a suit.  There is also a playful side which he brings to his character and which I think would translate well as Christian Grey also he does the broody look very well.  Take moment……







So who do you think would make the best Christian Grey?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this article.
It was practical. Keep on posting!
my webpage: Fifty Shades of Grey