Friday 31 May 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY...




Dear Darra,

Today would have been your four score and ten birthday.  I had planned to host a surprise birthday party for you....your first ever.

But instead I took you on your final earthly journey.  Instead I stood on the rocks, with the wind in my hair and the ocean lapping at my feet.

Instead of balloons in my hands I held your last remains. Instead of singing "happy birthday" I sang Amazing Grace (I hope my voice sounds better from heaven than it does here).

Instead of yelling "surprise" my heart cried out with longing.  Instead of smiling from ear to ear the tears streamed down my face.  Instead of happiness my heart was filled with sadness.

Instead of taking photos of you and me...of our family, there were photos taken of how our family looks now....there will always be one missing!

Instead of hugging you and kissing you a million times, I raised my hands to the wind and let you go.

Instead of so many things I planned for this your 70th birthday, I acknowledge that my heart hurts and my soul cries out for you but I choose to say:



Bessed be Your name

On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name


Happy birthday Darra.

I love and miss you!!

No comments: